The working subgroups listed below will update the Office 365 Advisory and Implementation Group, as needed.


Membership

Working Subgroups

To view a subgroup member list, click on one of the links below.

Working Subgroup: Admin Panel Access Rights, Permissions Management, Security
Name Email Division / Departments
Ian Thomas, Chair ian.thomas@utoronto.ca ITS – O365
Alex Tichine, Co-chair alex.tichine@utoronto.ca Engineering
Adnan Abid adnan.abid@utoronto.ca Student Life
Anthony Betts anthony.betts@utoronto.ca UTM I&ITS
Dan Pettigrew dan@ecf.utoronto.ca Engineering
Derek Boodoosingh derek.boodoosingh@utoronto.ca Faculty of Engineering – IBBME
Emil Cean emil.cean@utoronto.ca Medicine
Heather Postill heather.postill@utoronto.ca ITS
Henry Harris h.harris@utoronto.ca Law
Ivan Sestak ivan.sestak@utoronto.ca ITS
Jason Holtz jason.holtz@utoronto.ca IITS, UTSC
Jeremy Graham j.graham@utoronto.ca ACT – ITS
Sue McGlashan sue.mcglashan@utoronto.ca ITS – ISEA
Kevin Yang kevin.yang@utoronto.ca UTSC IITS
Sotira Chrisanthidis sotira.chrisanthidis@utoronto.ca Arts & Science
John-Carlos Best johncarlos.best@utoronto.ca Arts & Science
Working Subgroup: Sharepoint and Document Management

How Sharepoint sites will be created, permissions assigned.

Name Email Division / Departments
Heather Postill – Chair heather.postill@utoronto.ca ITS
Rouben Tchakhmakhtchian rouben.tchakhmakhtchian@utoronto.ca OISE
Saira Mall saira.mall@utoronto.ca CTSI
Adnan Abid adnan.abid@utoronto.ca Student Life
Heather Postill heather.postill@utoronto.ca ITS
Ivan Sestak ivan.sestak@utoronto.ca ITS
Derek Boodoosingh derek.boodoosingh@utoronto.ca Faculty of Engineering – IBBME
Henry Harris h.harris@utoronto.ca Law
Kevin Yang kevin.yang@utoronto.ca UTSC IITS
Sotira Chrisanthidis sotira.chrisanthidis@utoronto.ca Arts & Science
Michael Young mike.young@utoronto.ca UTM IITS
Sotira Chrisanthidis sotira.chrisanthidis@utoronto.ca Arts & Science
Simone Laughton simone.laughton@utoronto.ca UTM Libraries
Working Subgroup: Email & Calendaring

Global Address Listing Administration, contacts, and spam filtering (whitelists).

Name Email Division / Departments
Jeremy Graham – Chair j.graham@utoronto.ca ACT – ITS
Emil Cean emil.cean@utoronto.ca Medicine
HY Luo hongyu.luo@utoronto.ca UTM IITS
Blake Markle blake.markle@utoronto.ca UTSC IITS
John DiMarco jdd@cs.toronto.edu A&S – CS
Daniel Tomchyshyn daniel.tomchyshyn@utoronto.ca Faculty of Engineering – CHE
Dave Seto dave.seto@utoronto.ca Faculty of Engineering – IBBME
Luke Sutherland luke.sutherland@utoronto.ca ACT – ITS
Pamela Harris pamela.harris@utoronto.ca ITS
Kevin Yang kevin.yang@utoronto.ca UTSC IITS
Leonid Savitsky leo.savitsky@utoronto.ca Arts & Science
Sotira Chrisanthidis sotira.chrisanthidis@utoronto.ca Arts & Science
Working Subgroup: Governance of Teams and Groups
Name Email Division / Departments
Saira Mall – Chair saira.mall@utoronto.ca CTSI
Maryam Shafiei maryam.shafiei@utoronto.ca CTSI
Heather Postill heather.postill@utoronto.ca ITS
Anthony Betts anthony.betts@utoronto.ca UTM I&ITS
Ivan Sestak ivan.sestak@utoronto.ca ITS
Cheryl Davison c.ziegler@utoronto.ca Division of Student Life
Heather Postill heather.postill@utoronto.ca ITS
Henry Harris h.harris@utoronto.ca Law
Jeremy Graham j.graham@utoronto.ca ACT – ITS
Dan Hill dan.hill@utoronto.ca Law
Sian Meikle sian.meikle@utoronto.ca Libraries
Michel Kouadio michel.kouadio@utoronto.ca OISE
Marden Paul marden.paul@utoronto.ca ITS
Kevin Yang kevin.yang@utoronto.ca UTSC IITS
Sotira Chrisanthidis sotira.chrisanthidis@utoronto.ca Arts & Science
Michael Young mike.young@utoronto.ca UTM IITS
Marco Di Vittorio marco.divittorio@utoronto.ca ACT – ITS
Philip Wright philip.wright@utoronto.ca Arts & Science
Simone Laughton simone.laughton@utoronto.ca UTM Libraries
Working Subgroup: Office 365 for Business

File Sharing, access and records retention.

Name Email Division / Departments
Ivan Sestak – Chair ivan.sestak@utoronto.ca ITS
Anthony Betts anthony.betts@utoronto.ca UTM I&ITS
Blake Markle blake.markle@utoronto.ca UTSC IITS
Dan Pettigrew dan@ecf.utoronto.ca Engineering
Derek Boodoosingh derek.boodoosingh@utoronto.ca Faculty of Engineering – IBBME
Emil Cean emil.cean@utoronto.ca Medicine
Heather Postill heather.postill@utoronto.ca ITS
Henry Harris h.harris@utoronto.ca Law
Jeremy Graham j.graham@utoronto.ca ACT – ITS
Nancy Okada n.okada@utoronto.ca Division of Student Life
Roland Tan r.tan@utoronto.ca Faculty of Engineering – ECE
Hayley Fuller hayley.fuller@utoronto.ca HR & Equity
Ravneet Kaur ravneet.kaur@utoronto.ca UTSC IITS
Kevin Yang kevin.yang@utoronto.ca UTSC IITS
Sotira Chrisanthidis sotira.chrisanthidis@utoronto.ca Arts & Science
Philip Wright philip.wright@utoronto.ca Arts & Science
Simone Laughton simone.laughton@utoronto.ca UTM Libraries
Humberto Ferreira humberto.ferreira@utoronto.ca DUA
Working Subgroup: Skype for Business
Name Email Division / Departments
Melvin Chien – Chair m.chien@utoronto.ca ACT/CTSI
Rob Page rob.page@utoronto.ca Rehabilitation Sciences Sector
Emil Cean emil.cean@utoronto.ca Medicine
HY Luo hongyu.luo@utoronto.ca UTM IITS
Blake Markle blake.markle@utoronto.ca UTSC IITS
Daniel Tomchyshyn daniel.tomchyshyn@utoronto.ca Faculty of Engineering – CHE
Roland Tan r.tan@utoronto.ca Faculty of Engineering – ECE
Henry Harris h.harris@utoronto.ca Law
Jeremy Graham j.graham@utoronto.ca ACT – ITS
Kevin Yang kevin.yang@utoronto.ca UTSC IITS
Scott Hollows scott.hollows@utoronto.ca ACT – ITS
Simone Laughton simone.laughton@utoronto.ca UTM Libraries
Sotira Chrisanthidis sotira.chrisanthidis@utoronto.ca Arts & Science
Working Subgroup: Support Model Post Implementation
Name Email Division / Departments
Do Anh Vu, Chair ad.vu@utoronto.ca Student Life
Rob Page rob.page@utoronto.ca Rehabilitation Sciences Sector
Emil Cean emil.cean@utoronto.ca Medicine
Saira Mall saira.mall@utoronto.ca CTSI
Heather Postill heather.postill@utoronto.ca ITS
Anthony Betts anthony.betts@utoronto.ca UTM I&ITS
James Lawson james.lawson@utoronto.ca InfoCommons
Marden Paul marden.paul@utoronto.ca ITS – PGA
Kevin Yang kevin.yang@utoronto.ca UTSC IITS
Ravneet Kaur ravneet.kaur@utoronto.ca UTSC IITS
Sotira Chrisanthidis sotira.chrisanthidis@utoronto.ca Arts & Science
Michael Young mike.young@utoronto.ca UTM IITS
Jeremy Graham j.graham@utoronto.ca ACT – ITS
Simone Laughton simone.laughton@utoronto.ca UTM Libraries
Working Subgroup: Stream (Video)
Name Email Division / Departments
Blake Markle – Chair blake.markle@utoronto.ca UTSC IITS
HY Luo hongyu.luo@utoronto.ca UTM IITS
Heather Postill heather.postill@utoronto.ca ITS
Jeremy Graham j.graham@utoronto.ca ACT – ITS
Kevin Yang kevin.yang@utoronto.ca UTSC IITS
Scott Hollows scott.hollows@utoronto.ca ACT – ITS
John-Carlos Best johncarlos.best@utoronto.ca Arts & Science
Simone Laughton simone.laughton@utoronto.ca UTM Libraries
Working Subgroup: Delve, Planner, Yammer and Sway
Name Email Division / Departments
Maryam Shafiei – Chair maryam.shafiei@utoronto.ca CTSI
HY Luo hongyu.luo@utoronto.ca UTM IITS
Marden Paul marden.paul@utoronto.ca ITS – PGA
Heather Postill heather.postill@utoronto.ca ITS
HY Luo hongyu.luo@utoronto.ca UTM IITS
Kevin Yang kevin.yang@utoronto.ca UTM IITS
Melvin Chien m.chien@utoronto.ca ACT/CTSI
Dave Seto dave.seto@utoronto.ca Faculty of Engineering – IBBME
Simone Laughton simone.laughton@utoronto.ca UTM Libraries
John-Carlos Best johncarlos.best@utoronto.ca Arts & Science

Reports

Working Subgroup Reports

Working Subgroup Reports: Admin Panel Access Rights, Permissions Management, Security

Updated: January 24, 2018

Committee Chair Ian Thomas
Committee Co-Chair Alex Tichine
Email ian.thomas@utoronto.ca / alex.tichine@utoronto.ca
Number of Meetings 2 meetings
Meeting Details
  • November 24, 2017
  • January 19, 2018
  • Demo meeting is scheduled for the week of January 29
  • Next meeting is being scheduled for the week of Feb 12
Report Notes of the meetings are located under: https://utoronto.sharepoint.com/sites/O365Advisory/admin_security/Forms/AllItems.aspx

In summary: at the first meeting, there was an overview of key organizational processes and how they relate to Office 365. This includes process for on-boarding and off-boarding, emergency termination, short-term re-assignment, sharing of resources, archiving, ownership along with roles and responsibilities. The group conducted initial review of areas related to Confidentiality, Availability, Incident Response Planning and Audit. Please see attached document for detailed list of discussed items.

At the second meeting, the work continued building on the previous discussions and documentation provided by Central HR office, additional research conducted to survey e-mail practices of other Universities. The focus of the discussion was on identifying pain points, as it relates to Office 365 administration and oversight. The outcome of the meeting was to schedule a demo session on Admin Panel and Migration planner to better understand admin functionality behind Office 365. At the next meeting the goal is to finish identification of pain points, categorizes them in to “needs” vs. “wants” and propose recommendations on how to move forward. The recommendations will have a tactical component to address immediate pain points for faculties, divisions and the University, establish foundation for future developments, and provide recommendations for long term strategy. Please see attached documents for additional details.

Downloads
Working-Subgroup-Reports-Admin-Panel-Access-Rights-Permissions-Management-Security-mtgs-1-2-Jan-24-2018.pdf
Working Subgroup Reports: Sharepoint and Document Management

Updated: January 24, 2018

Committee Chair Heather Postill
Email heather.postill@utoronto.ca
Number of Meetings 3 meetings
Meeting Details

November 10, 2017

  • kickoff, capture scope of working group and expectations of members, capture questions about SharePoint and doc mgt in O365

January 4, 2018

  • Provide answers to questions; creation and review of information management guidelines; there is definitely overlap in some areas with other working groups (eg. Security and Admin, Support) so waiting to see what comes out of those

January 17, 2018

  • Updated information management guidelines (pyramid); asked members to identify what they require in order to proceed with divisional implementations of SharePoint
Report
  1. List of frequently asked questions which are being incorporated in SPO documentation
  2. Identified what divisions feel they need to have/know in order to proceed with SPO implementation. A guidance document is being developed by Heather based on that
  3. Developing an information management model (pyramid) for use in helping units identify what to use when (will work with matrix)
Working Subgroup Reports: Email & Calendaring

Coming soon

Working Subgroup Reports: Governance of Teams and Groups

Updated: January 24, 2018

Committee Chair Saira Mall
Email saira.mall@utoronto.ca
Number of Meetings 4 meetings
Meeting Details

November 15, 2017

  • Kickoff meeting: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 – 10:00AM-11:30AM
  • NOTES: introduction to Teams and Groups, review current support process for Portal (Blackboard Organizations, establish action items, request for system admin demos)
  • OUTCOME: schedule demos from U of T perspective and with Greg Milligan from Microsoft

November 27, 2017

  • Admin Demo for Teams and Groups with Heather Postill [via Skype for Business]: Monday, November 27, 2017 – 1:00PM-2:30PM
  • NOTES: An online demo by Heather to introduce group members to system admin features and recommended best practices for creating Teams and Groups.
  • OUTCOME: This session was prep for the demo held on December 1st by Greg Milligan from Microsoft.

December 1, 2017

  • Admin Overview and Governance with Greg Milligan [in-person, room 4034 CTSI Teaching Studio]: Friday, December 01, 2017
  • NOTES: This demo was requested by group members to gain a deeper understanding of Team and Group creation.

January 19, 2018

  • Governance Next Steps and Executive Report: Friday, January 19, 2018
  • NOTES: Group members review the Office 365 Teams Executive Report for migrating Portal (Blackboard) Organizations to Teams, discussed naming convention and training and review timeline for Portal Org migration.
  • OUTCOMES: For our next meeting on Monday, February 5, Bert will be working with Vicki to make recommendations on naming convention for Teams and Groups (e.g., not more than 10-12 characters), discussed a workshop plan when Portal Org content has been migrated to Teams, schedule bi-weekly, one-hour workshops on an introduction of Portal Orgs to Teams, the bi-weekly session would be facilitated by the team who are leading the “Getting Started with Office 365” one-hour sessions. Marco Lalonde to schedule and lead training sessions for U of T Libraries.
Report Our group has had an opportunity to review key system admin features for creating Teams and Groups

NEXT STEPS:

  1. Discuss the support process for best practices and troubleshooting common issues (e.g., document deletion, or group deletion).
  2. Establish naming convention for Teams and Groups.
  3. Schedule one-hour workshops and assign session facilitators. Two streams for training: 1) Training sessions for workshop facilitators and support staff, and 2) create workshops and documentation for the end-user.
  4. Coordinate with the core LME Migration team on the process for migrating Portal Org content to Teams.
  5. Create a Team for the Teams and Groups Sub Working Group.
Downloads Executive Report – Jan 24, 2018
(Working-Subgroup-Reports-Governance-of-Teams-and-Groups-executive-report-Jan-24-2018.pdf)

 
Organizational Options
(Quercus-Org-Migration3.pdf)

 
Office 365 Teams Naming Structure
(Team-Naming-Structure-20180703.pdf)

 
Office 365 Teams Creation Process
(Teams-Creation-Process.pdf)

 
Office 365 Teams – U of T Terms of Use
(Teams-TOU-20180703-PDF.pdf)
Working Subgroup Reports: Office 365 for Business

Coming soon

Working Subgroup Reports: Skype for Business

Updated: January 24, 2018

Committee Chair Melvin Chien
Email m.chien@utoronto.ca
Number of Meetings 1 meeting
Meeting Details

December 11, 2017 at 1:30pm

  • Getting to know Skype for Business
  • Discuss limitations and issues
  • Discuss applications and use cases
Report See more info in slides on Sharepoint site: https://utoronto.sharepoint.com/sites/O365Advisory/skype/Forms/AllItems.aspx

1. Went through overview of Skype for Business

2. Discussed limitations and issues discovered thus far

  • Need to confirm whether we have Skype Meeting Broadcast
  • Everyone will keep an eye out for other potential issues when using Skype for Business
  • Need additional testing/familiarity on mobile devices
  • Test screen sharing and/or presentations with smart whiteboards
  • Test performance when joining via VPN (UTORvpn or other)
  • Test with multiple cameras (and monitors?)
  • Encountered issue with Mac desktop app not being able to see Polls and Whiteboard

3. Covered potential applications and use cases

  • Many potential uses in Law and Engineering for ad-hoc meetings and lectures

4. Gathered list of similar tools

5. Next steps

  • Set up a group Skype chat (failed due to not having Skype Groups)
  • Look into possibility of getting a Microsoft employee to talk to us about Skype for Business (will gather questions for Office 365 implementation team instead)
  • Look into feature/product roadmap and potential deprecation or merging with Teams)
Working Subgroup Reports: Support Model Post Implementation

Updated: January 24, 2018

Committee Chair Do Anh Vu
Email ad.vu@utoronto.ca
Number of Meetings 5 meetings
Meeting Details

October 24, 2017

  • introduction, planning

October 31, 2017

  • review of use cases, identifying roles and responsibilities of Local Support and Central Support

November 7, 2017

  • expectations of roles and responsibilities of Local Support vs. Central Support, support outside of office hours

November 29, 2017

  • further discussions of expectations and identifications of other issues

December 5, 2017

  • review of use cases, closing up discussions
Report We are preparing a report to submit to the Advisory Group.
Downloads
Coming Soon
Working Subgroup Reports: Stream (Video)

Updated: January 24, 2018

Committee Chair Blake Markle
Email bmarkle@utsc.utoronto.ca
Number of Meetings 2 meetings
Meeting Details

November 17, 2017

  • Working Groups Stream
  • Title Microsoft Stream Subgroup
  • Location S4B
  • Start Time 11/17/2017 2:00 PM
  • End Time 11/17/2017 3:00 PM
  • Description: ​First Meeting -Introductions -Stream Overview -Screensharing Tour -Feature requests

December 8, 2017

  • Working Groups Stream
  • Title Microsoft Stream Subgroup
  • Location S4B
  • Start Time 12/8/2017 11:00 AM
  • End Time 12/8/2017 12:00 PM
  • Description
    ​Items:

    • Review of answers to questions gathered in 1st meeting. Answers provided by Greg Milligan from Microsoft
    • Screenshared tour of new Stream features; facial recognition, transcripts. Downloading, Editing and re-uploading of video text attempted.
    • New questions for Greg M gathered.

Report See document attached – status report and FAQ
Downloads
Working-Subgroup-Reports-Stream-Video-and-FAQ-Jan-24-2018.pdf
Working Subgroup Reports: Delve, Planner, Yammer and Sway

Updated: January 24, 2018

Committee Chair Maryam Shafiei
Email maryam.shafiei@utoronto.ca
Number of Meetings 1 meeting
Meeting Details

January 16, 2018, 1 PM – 3 PM

  • Intro to Sway, Delve, Planner and Yammer applications and their functionalities
  • Reviewing the action items for future meetings
Report In the first meeting, the group members shared some information about the applications Sway, Delve, Planner and Yammer, and their features and functionalists. The group also discussed the frequency of the meetings as well as the action items for future meetings.

The presentation slides and the recording of the first meeting were shared with the group members through the SharePoint document library for the working group Delve, Planner, Yammer and Sway on https://utoronto.sharepoint.com/sites/O365Advisory.

A Word file containing the suggested action items and the meeting notes was also uploaded to the library. The group members would be editing the file to add their notes, suggestions, recommendations, and questions.

Some of the suggested action items and the meeting notes are as follows:

Suggested Action Items

  • Getting access to the tools? (Sway is available to users having a Microsoft account)
  • Use cases: which tool for what purpose; best practices for various use cases
  • Relation to other tools/services
  • Advantages and/or disadvantages
  • Support process; documentation; training

Notes

Sway:

  • A free alternative to Rise
  • Is Sway interactive? Can we create a poll in Sway?
  • Advantage: the ability to permanently share the presentation with external users (outside U of T)
  • Sway is currently available to users who have a Microsoft account
  • Where would the published sways be hosted (under https://sway.com)? Is it part of the license?
  • What is the storage allocation?

Delve:

  • The profile piece is available but the content piece has been turned off; working connection with other users is currently unavailable and under review due to privacy and confidentiality concerns
  • Helpful for people working on different projects or multiple Office 365 applications/services (e.g. SharePoint sites) to manage and organize their work

Planner:

  • Good alternative to Chello
  • Where is the information stored?
  • Does user need to have a group to use Planner? Is there an option to choose an existing group or create a new one?

Yammer:

  • Initially created as Facebook for business
  • Almost all of the Yammer feature is available in Teams (the possibility of merging the products)
  • Could be used as an institutionally supported application by instructors or students who end up using Facebook
Downloads
Working-Subgroup-Reports-Delve-Planner-Yammer-and-Sway-Jan-24-2018.pdf