Calendaring in Office 365
Office 365’s calendaring options help you manage your day and collaborate with your team. You can create and track appointments, create multiple calendars, turn any meeting into a Skype call, link to calendars and share your calendar with your team members.
Calendaring Frequently Asked Questions
The Outlook Calendar works similarly to the UTORexchange calendar already in use at the University. The Office 365 service offers a few improvements in navigation and functionality – particularly, the ability to add an online component to a meeting using Skype for Business. There are other useful capabilities like importing externally or internally published calendars, e.g,, a baseball schedule of your favourite team, or a list of tests and assignment dates for a course.. More information on publishing calendars may be found at https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Introduction-to-publishing-Internet-Calendars-a25e68d6-695a-41c6-a701-103d44ba151d.
Below are instructions about a few key calendar functions.
Navigation Notes on Outlook Online Calendar
- The left side of the window displays a monthly calendar and a list of all the calendars associated with your account. In the example above, two published football team calendars (for demonstration purposes only! This document makes no assertion of favourite football teams).
- Colour coding associates calendar entries with the respective calendar.
- Shared calendars (those of other people) would appear similarly.
- The top navigation bar provides additional functionality:
- New – to add a new meeting or appointment
- Add Calendar – to add another calendar (like the football teams) to the view
- Share – the tool that enables sharing your calendar with others or groups
- Print – calendar printing function Note: The top navigation bar will display different functions when performing specific tasks like booking a meeting.
- Different Calendar Views
- At the top right of the window, options to see the calendar in Day / Work Week / Week / Month views are selectable.
- Pressing the TODAY icon will return to TODAY’s schedule of events.
- Calendar events appear in the main body of the screen. Note that there are “weather-related” icons for 5-day date ranges. Including weather forecast information is an optional setting that will be illustrated later in this document.
- In the top left, there is a button named NEW.
- Press the NEW icon or Down Arrow and select CALENDAR EVENT
- A calendar event (meeting) window opens up, as shown in the image below
- Enter Calendar Event details:
- Meeting Description
- Meeting Location (there will be a list of U of T rooms, but location may also be entered manually).
- Date(s) and Time of the meeting.
- ALL DAY and PRIVATE check boxes appear beside the Date and Time fields.
- ALL DAY will block the workday by default.
- PRIVATE will ensure that no one other than you and those you authorised may see the name of the Calendar Event and any details provided.
- Fields below Date and Time are used to create a RECURRING meeting schedule. REMINDER has a drop-down menu for specifying whether there will be meeting reminders issued by Outlook Calendar at various durations prior to the event.
- In the Text Box, more details about the meeting may be provided, such as the agenda or other comments.
- In the PEOPLE field, the identities of people to be invited to the meeting/event are added.
- Enter e-mail addresses and the system will start to display a shortened list when characters are entered.
- The field permits labeling people as REQUIRED or OPTIONAL attendees of the meeting.
- Clicking the CALENDAR ICON with the CLOCK (circled) will bring up the scheduling tool that permits viewing calendar availability of the people invited.
- When satisfied that the meeting timing may be viable, press the OK button to return to the main calendar event creation screen. (See below)
- The meeting is now ready to be sent to prospective attendees.
Above is the FUNCTION bar related to meetings:
- SEND – sends the meeting/calendar event invitation
- DISCARD – cancels the event creation
- ATTACH — the button to press when intending to attach meeting materials to the invitation
- SKYPE MEETING – use this function to add an ONLINE COMPONENT to a meeting. A meeting may be entirely online or hybrid, where people may be able to use Skype for Business to remotely access the meeting.
- Press the SKYPE MEETING button and ADD SKYPE MEETING appears
NOTE the addition of “JOIN ONLINE MEETING” and CONFERENCE ID to the text box. This will provide the meeting connection link to invitees.
Pressing the ONLINE MEETING link causes the following to occur:
- A window opens that asks the attendee whether they want to participate via their SKYPE FOR BUSINESS client (available to everyone at U of T, faculty and students).
- People outside the University with Skype for Business may also participate with the application.
- Alternatively, invitees may also click on the Web App link and a light version of the application will open in their browser.
- Either approach permits remote access to the meeting.
Once the selection is made, Skype for Business will start up. Say “YES” to the permission screen.
And the online meeting will open.
Note the following:
- The Video Camera turns your camera on or off. When calling in from a location with a poor Internet connection, turning off video (by clicking the icon) may improve audio performance.
Setting out-of-office parameters
Out-of-Office messaging is improved in Office 365. There are a few new features that are illustrated below.
Out-of-Office settings are created in SETTINGS -> MAIL -> AUTOMATIC PROCESSING -> AUTOMATIC REPLIES
To activate Automatic Replies for Out-of-Office messaging:
- Select the SEND AUTOMATIC REPLIES radio button
- To enable messaging for the duration of your out-of-office period, check SEND REPLIES ONLY DURING THE TIME PERIOD and set the START DATE/TIME and END DATE/TIME you will be away from the office.
- Click the BLOCK MY CALENDAR checkbox to show others that you are out-of-office if they try to book you into a meeting. Add a TITLE so your calendar displays that you are out-of-office.
- Click AUTOMATICALLY DECLINE NEW INVITATIONS TO EVENTS THAT OCCUR DURING THE PERIOD to let people sending you invitations know that you are unable to attend.
- Click the DECLINE AND CANCEL MY MEETINGS DURING THIS PERIOD option to speed up the declining process.
- When selecting this option, a list of meetings that are scheduled during the away period will appear at the bottom of the screen. Check off all the meetings to which you want an automated DECLINE to be sent.
- When the details are entered, press SAVE to record your settings, or DISCARD to cancel the message creation.
All Office 365 Service Offerings
|Skype for Business|
|Office Pro Plus|